Sunday, October 6, 2013

EdTech you need to focus on security

Dear Edtech Startup,


As a technology coach for an elementary and middle school district, I am saddened when I analyze your login pages for security and encryption and then realize that there is none. When someone signs up for your site, especially if they are going to be using it with children, it is important that they feel safe and secure. 

I look for the https as well as the lock symbol and have begun to put together a tutorial for teachers on how to do this themselves. If the security isn’t there when I am inputting my personal information (email, password, name etc) then I stop. Why would I continue if someone could hack in or find my personal information? Yes maybe it is hypothetical and a long shot, but still if it is possible I don’t want to risk that.


Additionally, why do your privacy policies need to be so complicated? Why do they need to be written in a very confusing way that causes me to stop and realize that I can’t tell if the site is suitable for children under 13 to login to or not? Please make it more obvious if kids under 13 can use your site. As an edtech company this will only help you in the long run. Right now I spend many hours punching in “command F” to find whether or not there is a statement concerning children under 13. Help me, help you, by making this easier. I want teachers in my district to be able to use your site, but right now due to privacy policies and lack of SSL I can’t. Comply with COPPA, and make it so we can understand that you are.


It would be better for all of us if you could do the following:
1) Add SSL, seriously, it isn’t that hard. Spend the money, set it up. You will start to find that more and more schools are becoming aware of the need to be more secure with what information they allow students to post. If you want schools using your site, add SSL.
2) Simplify your privacy policy and use fewer words. I understand that there is legal speak needed, but seriously it would be better if you used fewer words.
3) Have an option for a teacher to use the site without students having to create accounts


Why you should do it:
1) The purpose of your site is for kids, if kids can’t use it, why did you make it?
2) Security is important in the digital era, don’t you want your users to feel protected and safe when they login to your site?
3) Teachers don’t have time to scour your site for the privacy policy, make it easier, make it known if kids under 13 can’t/shouldn’t use it.

I very much appreciate your consideration of this letter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

UA-44643247-1