Saturday, November 10, 2012

Blogging in the classroom


As an aspiring edtech jedi, I began my training in the Dagobah System or rather in the html code and teachings of Blogger. Guided by my Yoda master at school, he spoke to me with great wisdom, “Do or do not there is no try.” So do I did. Back in September, I laid out a lesson with my edtech master Tim Bray who is full of great strength and great wisdom. Together we would conquer the Blog. 



My process for teaching 16 fifth graders how to use Blogger was very simple and I was heaviliy relying on the fact that they were already very used to using google docs and other google products. 



Here is a link to my lesson plan for setting up a blog on lessonopoly.org. Below is a general outline of what I did in my lesson (1 hr): 


  • Discuss the purpose of a blog

  • Internet protocol

  • Avatars

  • Blogger

  • New Blog

    • Title (Erin’s Blog)

    • Address (mac ID ie. ebell20)

    • Go back to google form page on website and enter information

    • Profile (only top part, privacy, and photo)

    • Show home page

    • Show how to do a post

    • Do a test post

    • View blog

    • Go to a friend’s blog and make a comment

Currently students write about two to three blog posts a week on a variety of topics. Generally I use their blogs for weekly reading letters each week and then the other posts vary. Sometimes students will watch a TED talk and then respond to it or they will share something they learned that week in class. 



Students enjoy blogging because it gives them a way to read other studnets’ work, share with a wider audience, have a reflective space, and work on their writing skills. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

UA-44643247-1