Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Minecraft in Schools--take the risk or not? What do you think?

image



Source: http://images.eurogamer.net/2012/articles//a/1/4/8/2/5/3/2/Minecraft_360_049.png


Recently I attended a conference in Hong Kong and a session on using Minecraft in school stood out to me in and edgy, risky way. As a teacher eager to learn new technologies and to think about how to incorporate them effectively into my teaching, the idea of using a game that my students LOVE intrigued me. Rob Newberry was a dynamic speaker, discussing the intense creativity necessary to both create and to survive in Minecraft worlds. I’ve looked at a variety of articles discussing the pros and the cons of video games as well as investigated a few TED talks on the topic of gaming as well. Previously I was very against video games, thinking that they sucked people into a digital world that then negatively impacted their interpersonal skills. However, having done some research, I do think that creation games like Minecraft require a set of skills that can be incredibly valuable in an adaptive world. That being said, I do not think that people should spend a great number of hours on games, but I do think that using an interactive platform like Minecraft has potential to redefine the way that we teach certain subjects. For example, using Minecraft to teach about culture and community could be an innovative way for students to explore what is essential to life and to living with others. I am eager to think through and to understand the place that Minecraft could have in school. Some questions I have about integrating it would be: 1) understanding from parents that the game could be useful as a tool to teach content 2) what if kids don’t like or want to understand the game, how would this impact integrating it? 3) would it be better to simply have a club after school?

My questions and thoughts continue to pour out of me in regards to this controversial topic. Any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated. I will be beginning to assist with a Minecraft club soon that is focused on creating a world and a culture. Students will then compare these two worlds analyzing why the are similar and different. Here’s to new adventures, new horizons, and lots of time spent watching YouTube tutorials.

No comments:

Post a Comment

UA-44643247-1