Thursday, January 24, 2013

21Century Learning Conference, Hong Kong

Sitting in Incheon airport, I am preparing myself for a wonderful 3 days of learning and growing. I am looking forward to exploring the areas of 1:1 iPad integration into the classroom. With many fascinating sessions, it has been hard for me to figure out what I want to focus on as an educator and as a learner while there. 


My first session will be about transforming learning with the iPad. My husband and I have had many fascinating discussions on the reality of going 1:1 with iPads versus MacBooks or Chrome Books. I am hoping to learn and to understand how to do some of the following: file structure on an ipad, creating essays, sharing works, downloading applications and more. 


The creativity options with utilizing the iPad seem impressive and vast. Being able to download various apps that would enhance specific subject areas would bring individualization to lessons. Some students might prefer one app, while others would benefit from something entirely different. That being said, since Apple ties your devices to your Apple id, it could be problematic from a management perspective. Therefore, I hope to attend some sessions on case studies of schools who have had success.


I am also interested in looking into using gaming in schools. With so many of our students being vested in perfecting their Mindcraft skills, I think that I need to be open to exploring the possibilities that games could have in the classroom.


Additionally, I am interested in exploring creativity and challenge based learning. Pushing technology in my classroom has been my goal for this year, but having focused on that I feel I have lost some of my passion for creating design thinking based challenge projects.


In order to be an excellent teacher, we must be able to combine many schools of thought in order to craft the ideal learning environment. I am looking forward to presenting on giving dynamic visual/audio feedback on essays as well as opening my mind to using iPads rather than computers.


Bring on the learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

UA-44643247-1