Saturday, January 26, 2013

Perplexity versus engagement

image



http://www.flickr.com/photos/centralasian/3996106861/sizes/z/in/photostream/


Having concluded the 21st Century Learning Conference in Hong Kong yesterday, I have been left with a mind blowing number of items to ponder, to create and to learn. 


To ponder


  • Perplexity versus engagement is my number one goal. Do we create lessons for students to desire to figure out the answer to? or do we create lessons because we think that they will be able to actually stay awake?

  • Flipped learning and lecture. What is the purpose of my students watching video at home versus learning the content by desire to know the information in order to answer a perplexing question?

  • Capture perplexity, share perplexity and resolve perplexity. My new goals for lessons via Dan Meyer’s amazing talk at 21st century learning

  • Gaming. Enough said. Pretty much Rob Newberry, blog, convinced me I should learn Minecraft. 

  • My technology mission statement. 

  • Substitution, Augmentation, Modification, Redefinition of technology  Where do I fall on the SAMR model of using technology in my room?

  • iPads 1:1, I am so thrilled to begin to buy apps : ) yes done are my days of only using free apps. I want to think about how it would look for me to be in a 1:1 classroom. 

  • Both physical and virtual spaces that we learn in. 

  • iPads in readers, writers workshop. 

  • Taking learning with digital devices out of the classroom and thinking about how I can give weight and importance to my students learning that occurs beyond the hours of 8-3

To Create


  • Tweets and blog posts to share with the education community so that my learning continues and does not stop with 2 days of intense growth

  • A list of perplexing things

  • An RSS feed

  • A list of Education questions I have

  • iPad implementation goals

  • My edtech mission statement

  • Library of video clips to use as perplexing thoughts for lessons

  • An ibook

To Learn


  • Minecraft

  • About a billion iPad apps

  • Implementing iPad 1:1

  • iBook author

  • And so much more…

Looking forward to continuing to push myself as an educator and to learn from others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

UA-44643247-1