Saturday, January 19, 2013

Podcast author interview


Source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterhacks/4474421855/sizes/z/in/photostream/



"Really, I can choose my author?" Kids love choice. Teachers want kids to read and to be engaged with projects. Currently, I have taken on an author project. My fifth grade students choose a favorit author, research him or her, write a persuasive book review on one of the author’s books and then create a podcast interview with their author using Garageband. Here is a great video on podcasting. 


I am excited about gaining the experience with using Garageband as it is a tool I have limited knowledge of. My edtech department did a wonderful pd on using this software, see here. While my students know iMovie well, I am choosing to use Garageband for this project because it is much better at sound recording and editing whereas iMovie is better for video and movies with photos. 


My students have some experience, but overall it will be a new technology for most of them. Generally when I introduce a new piece of technology, we walk through the process step by step so that no one falls behind. It is great to give students a print out of where you are going with the lesson, as I have found they are more able to stay on track and on task if they have a generally idea of what they are going to be learning. 


Additionally, a tip sheet is a nice item to have as well. That being said, I have found it a bit hard to find kid-friendly tip sheets for technologies as usually this type of thing is directed more at adults seeking out information. 


I’ve linked my podcast lesson handout here for your to open as a Googledoc. The general time line is as follows: 


  • 2 one hour blocks to research the author (I folded in the book review work at this stage of time. Students were introduced to persuasive writing at this point as well.)

  • 2 one hour blocks (or less depending on age of students) to write script

  • 1 one hour block for Garageband introduction/start of podcast work

  • 2 one hour blocs to work on and to submit podcast

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

UA-44643247-1